land acknowledgement + commitment
Our brick & mortar shop exists on the treaty and traditional territory of the Michi Saagiig Anishnaabeg and Chippewa Nations, collectively known as the Williams Treaties First Nations.
As settlers, we acknowledge our responsibility to learn about the history and legacy of colonialism and how we benefit from it. We acknowledge that the harms and trauma inflicted by colonialism are ongoing, and that we have a duty to attempt to disrupt the colonial structures that continue to inflict violence and trauma on First Nations, Métis, and Inuit peoples.
Specifically, the owners of Watson & Lou are committed to:
- Setting aside time on an ongoing basis to educate ourselves about historical truths of the land now known as Canada through Indigenous-led academic resources, local Indigenous organizations, seeking out and listening to Indigenous voices both on and offline, and the Truth & Reconciliation Commission's 94 Calls To action
- Donating to/facilitating ways for our customers to donate to Indigenous-led organizations with a minimum of two yearly events/ initiatives
- Contacting our political leaders on an ongoing basis to demand that the 94 Calls to Action be implemented
- Nurturing partnerships with local Indigenous artists to carry, showcase, and support their work
- Altering these commitments as needed based on new learning and feedback